Crown of Sorrow Upgrade Guide
Learn more about the upgrades on the Crown of Sorrow so you can get the most out of Season of the Haunted.
With Hive magic playing a major role during Season of the Haunted, it should come as no surprise that a certain Hive artifact has resurfaced and is now being stored in the H.E.L.M. Guardians will be upgrading the Crown of Sorrow as Season 17 progresses to unlock different perks, abilities, and upgrades that will help them get the most out of the seasonal content. Be sure to stay on top of upgrading your Crown of Sorrow so you can earn the seasonal triumph for unlocking all of its upgrades.
Curious about what upgrades are available? Check out our quick guide on the Crown of Sorrow’s upgrades and how you can unlock them.
Crown of Sorrow Upgrades
There are 18 upgrades available in the Crown of Sorrow for Guardians to unlock during Season of the Haunted. They’re organized into three groups which are detailed below.
- Sever Boss High Stat: The first time you complete Sever each week, you are guaranteed a high-stat piece of gear.
- Treasurer Bonus Rewards: The first time you defeat an Avaricious Treasurer each week, it drops additional rewards.
- Opulent Deepsight: The first time you open an Opulent Chest each week, a Deepsight modded weapon is guaranteed.
- Sever Deepsight: The first time you redeem a Bound Presence each week, you are guaranteed a Deepsight modded Haunted weapon.
- Focusing Deepsight: The first Opulent or Haunted weapon you focus each week will be Deepsight modded.
- Focusing Double Perk: The first Opulent or Haunted weapon you focus each week will have an additional perk.
- Vestiges of Dread Destination Materials: Derelict Leviathan Petrified Egregore rewards Vestiges of Dread.
- Vestiges of Dread Bounties: Crown of Sorrow daily bounties reward Vestiges of Dread.
- Vestiges of Dread Destination Combat Bonus: Increase Vestige of Dread gained by defeating combatants while on the Derelict Leviathan.
- Vestige Capacity: Increase the maximum amount of Vestiges of Dread that you can carry.
- Vestiges of Dread Destination Chest Bonus: Increase Vestiges of Dread gained by opening chests and completing patrols in Derelict Leviathan free roam.
- Vestige Core Ritual: Increase Vestiges of Dread gained by completing activities in Vanguard, Gambit, and Crucible Playlists.
- Haunted Armor Focusing: Gain the ability to focus Haunted Armor.
- Umbral Energy Chests: Haunted Alcove Chests and Opulent Chests have a chance to reward Opulent Umbral Energy.
- Opulent Weapon Focusing: Gain the ability to focus Opulent Weapons.
- Umbral Binding: Binding at the end of Nightmare Containment rewards additional Opulent Umbral Energy.
- Haunted Weapon Focusing: Gain the ability to focus Haunted Weapons.
- Umbral Rift: The first time you redeem a Bound Presence each week, you are rewarded additional Opulent Umbral Energy.
One thing to keep in mind is that you won’t be able to focus a weapon or armor if you haven’t already collected it. So be sure to stay on top of farming Opulent Keys to unlock Opulent Chests and collect all of the Opulent Weapons.
How do you upgrade the Crown of Sorrow?
Unlike seasonal artifacts and faction vendors, the Crown of Sorrow doesn’t rely on experience or reputation to unlock its upgrades. Guardians will need to collect Figments of Darkness which is a new consumable that was added during Season of the Haunted.
Where can I get Figments of Darkness?
Figments of Darkness are a consumable that can drop or be acquired from a handful of places. Some of those places include:
- Completing Bound in Sorrow quest steps
- Opening Nightmare Containment Tier III boss chests
- Crown of Sorrow faction rank 4, 10, & 16
- Completing seasonal triumphs
This consumable is very rare so you should think carefully about what upgrade(s) you want to purchase before you pull the proverbial trigger. You can’t respec your Crown of Sorrow like the Nightmare Harvestor seasonal artifact so be careful what you spend your Figments of Darkness on.
Best Way to Upgrade the Crown of Sorrow
What’s the best way to upgrade your Crown of Sorrow? I can’t answer that for you. It all depends on your goals for the season and what you want to dive into first. If you’re looking to farm a god roll Austringer or Beloved, you’ll want the Opulent Focusing upgrade and other weapon focusing upgrades.
If you’re trying to get high-stat gear, you’ll want to prioritize Sever Boss High Stat and other armor-focusing perks.
However, when you’re planning out the upgrade path for your Crown of Sorrow, be sure to take into account that each column requires more upgrades to be unlocked to get access to them.
- First Column: immediately available for purchase with a Figments of Darkness.
- Second Column: Requires 2 or more unlocked upgrades.
- Third Column: Requires 4 or more unlocked upgrades.
- Fourth Column: Requires 6 or more unlocked upgrades.
- Fifth Column: Requires 8 or more unlocked upgrades.
- Sixth Column: Requires 10 or more unlocked upgrades.
Focusing on collecting Figments of Darkness will help you unlock the upgrades on the Crown of Sorrow as quickly as possible. Whether you want to farm specific rolls on certain seasonal weapons or get high stat roll gear, there are plenty of upgrades to be chased after. Just remember to be careful on which upgrade you buy since these consumables won’t be raining from the sky any time soon.
Kenny is a lifelong gamer that enjoys writing in-depth guides for RPGs, JRPGs, strategy, and FPS games. You can follow him on Twitter, YouTube, or Twitch to stay up to date with the latest content and guides from ArcadeHaven.io